Leigh’s Construction is currently establishing themselves onsite and beginning preliminary work of the scheduled Stage 2 programme of projects. The full list of actual works in Stage 2 were outlined in Term 3’s Newsletter.
The first projects to get underway will be:
• Construction work for our new Science extension/block to A Block.
• Asphalt the area (e.g. walkways) around the new ‘Portal Block’.
• Uplift and move the two prefab classrooms (M7-10) from alongside the PAC and ‘sacred lawn’ on-going on the front field, the second behind W and K Blocks.
• Alterations to K Block.
• Digging up and replacing various underground pipe infrastructure.
• Then over the Christmas break the demolition of the school PAC (hall).
The Board of Trustees has paid through the school’s locally raised funds for a new bus layby, which was constructed over the Term 3-4 break. This area widens our Rose Street – Barrington Street loop road, to enable buses to have more space to safely park off the school’s driveway to better allow students to board and exit.
To complete this project there will be new trees planted to replace the Silver Birches that were removed from the driveway area as part of this development.
The last major piece of work within Stage 1 of the redevelopment is the completion of the new ‘Portal Block’ (which was previously the north-south wing of B Block). There were some complications in the early stages of this build, with this new block now due to be finished just prior to Christmas, for the school to occupy and use as from the start of the 2018 school year. This new block will include Art classrooms and offices for our Heads of School (Deans) on the ground floor, and then English and Media classrooms on the first floor, along with a large open staff workroom.
The tendering process to appoint the construction company for Stage 2 is currently being completed, with actual works planning to commence within next month. The intention is for all of these works to be managed through to completion in 2019. The specific works are still to be confirmed once the pricing and appointment process is confirmed. The current designs include the following:
• Construction of a new specialist Science block extending onto A Block
• Demolition and construction of a new Performing Arts Centre (PAC), including an 800 seat auditorium and two new large Drama rooms.
• Further replacement of underground water pipes and infrastructure
• Substantial refurbishment of existing classroom spaces across the school (especially S and K Blocks) and new landscaping of outside areas.
The main build of Stage 1 is the central ‘portal block’. On the site of the demolished north-south wing of B Block. After a range of delays, you can see the framing going up for this new block which will include Arts classrooms and the Heads of School offices on the ground floor, and English and Media classrooms and staff workspace on the first floor. Originally planned to be finished for the start of Term 4, this building is now scheduled for completion over the school holidays, for use for the beginning of 2018.
The other parts of Stage 1 are mostly completed, although a range of finishing details are still being done. These works have included:
• Construction of a new Special Education block (currently being used by art classes)
• External strengthening of the outside of A and B Blocks
• Extension to Library for new Careers and Storage rooms
• Construction of toilets and changing facilities for the gymnasium